Tuesday, June 22, 2004

riding a motor bike

well i'm falling in love with my bike (hero honda cd dawn) more than i thought. given my history with my car toyota camry in US (first ever owned thing in my life)
i didn't think i wld fall so much for the bike. my car was special - it was my baby, but the real connection or pleasure of riding it was never there. when i sold it
to move to india i never missed it much. coming back to my cd-dawn i was pretty much set on buying splendor from hero honda, mainly because thats one of the bikes still
around (from the days i lived in bangalore - which is 5 years back) and its fuel efficient, good looking. when i went to showroom i realised in everyway cd-dawn
is same except the doom in front. all the specs, performance are same, its 9k cheaper. so i went for it and i'm happy abt it. first day ofcourse i had a horrible
time driving it back home - i was abt to call my brother for help, but i had his old mobile no, so i decided anyways i've to drive it i'll do it. i had driven geared motor bikes for couple of months before i flew to US (thanks to vishwa who lend his vehicle). but its five years so i forgot the basics.
i drove tvs-champ of my dad too, hence was using the clutch was a front brake
and had a horrible time starting up the vehicle, then changing gears etc.
well in brief i was wondering why didn't i buy a kinetic honda or a activa
(auto geared - but poor fuel efficient). well next day morning i read the
manual and realised my mistakes (clutch, minmize accelarator while changing
gear etc). then i had a much better ride - not to mention i started early
to office (7.30 am) to avoid traffic. even now i do it - come early and
leave early, but lot more comfortable riding it - loving it in turns of
how much control i've over the vehicle, the smooth feeling. still it stops
sometimes in signals/traffic when i've wrong speed for a gear, but i don't
panic anymore. i bought a helmet on the first day itself - mainly because
of safety, but sweat a lot because of my horrible ride, so wondered whether
it was a good decision. now i'm sure abt it - because it not only saves me
from the cold winds, but the polluting vehicle's smoke on your face. with
my cool-leather jacket i'm all set and its really fun. now i understand
why guys love riding bikes (and their bikes). well they way u can go thru
traffic is simply impossible with car. so i guess even when i buy a car i'll
be using my bike often i think.